Home | Campus Life | International Students | New Student | Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Am I required to study as a full time student?

A: Yes. U.S. immigration law requires that all international students on F1 student visas maintain full-time enrollment. To be considered full time, undergraduate students must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 quarter credits each term. Graduate students must be enrolled in a minimum of 9 quarter credits each term to be considered full time.

Q: Can international students work on campus?


Yes. On-campus employment is the only legal employment for international students. See the International Student Advisor for more details. 

Q: Do you have an intensive English program?


No. Oregon Tech does not currently offer an English language proficiency program, and international applicants must first complete their ESL program at another institution. 

Q: What are the English proficiency requirements for international students?


International applicants are required to demonstrate their level of English-language proficiency during the application process. Student should have one of the following to prove his English Language Proficiency:

-TOEFL: A minimum score of 520 in paper-based, 190 in computer-based, or 68 in internet-based.

-IELTS: A minimum score of 6.

-ACT or SAT test scores are not required for international admissions; however students may choose to take either test as justification to waive TOEFL or IELTS.

-Completion of a Level 112 course at an ESL Language Center or grade B or better in WR 121 from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university.

Q: Are international students required to take the SAT or ACT?


Not normally. Contact the Office of Admissions if you have questions about U.S. college entrance exams.

Q: Does the Oregon Tech offer conditional admission?


Yes; depending on the situation. However, all the requirements must be met before getting the I-20 issued. Contact the Admission Office for more details. 

Q: When should I start the application process?


The deadline for applying for fall term is May.1st, for winter term is Sept.1st, for spring term is Dec.1st, and for summer term is Apr.1st. You should complete your application by the deadline for the desired term. The sooner you start, the faster and easier it will be. You should start working on the application as soon as possible. 

Q: How long does application processing take?


It might take up to six months to get all the forms and paperwork done. You should apply as soon as you can. Once you complete your application,the International Student Advisor is going to contact you after your application have been reviewed. 

Q: Are international students required to pay tuition in advance?


No. Tuition and fees are due during the first week of each term.

Q: Can international students apply for financial aid and scholarships?


International students cannot apply for federal financial aid. A few scholarships are available for international students.

Q: Do I need health insurance?


Yes. All students must have health insurance. Contact the Student Health Center for more details. 

Q: Do I need to submit an immunization record?


Yes. The record has to be in English, signed and has the date on it. Information about required immunizations will be sent to you by the International Student services with the I-20 form.

It is important to fill the form out and submit your immunization record; otherwise, you will not be able to register for classes.