Frequently Asked Questions

Disability Services does not offer tutoring on course content or academic skills. The Student Success Center (SSC) coordinates free drop-in tutoring for all students. For more information visit SSC. Some specialized tutoring is also available in academic departments.

DS does not offer any scholarships at this time. DS does maintain a web page of links to scholarships for students with disabilities though. The Financial Aid office is another excellent resource for scholarships and other sources of funding.

No. Our office encourages students to use whatever available resources are necessary to succeed in college. However, you are encouraged to meet with DS at the beginning of your college career. It will allow you to learn what DS offers. Registering with the office and providing documentation will make it much quicker and easier to access services if you later decide to utilize accommodations.

If a partial course load is necessary due to specific disability related limitations Disability Services can assist you. When appropriate, support letters can be provided from DS for University Housing, scholarships, etc., stating that it is reasonable to consider full-time equivalency for eligibility requirements.

For many types of requests you can contact Housing & Residence Life directly. A statement outlining specific need from your doctor may be required. In many cases you will want to register with DS and provide detailed documentation so we can assist with supporting your request and making recommendations to Housing, as needed. Disability Services is also available to assist in this process if you are uncomfortable directly disclosing information regarding why you are requesting accommodations.

DS is available to work with students who are dealing with unique circumstances around financial aid eligibility. Sometimes Financial Aid will ask you to provide a letter to verify that you are registered with DS, or to help support a specific financial aid petition request on the basis of disability or a medical condition.

Contact Campus Safety at 541.885.1117. Explain that you cannot get to your class due to a malfunction in the elevator and you need immediate assistance. Contact DS if you want us to intervene with your instructor or need other assistance.

An individual with a disability who uses a service animal is not required to register the animal with university authorities prior to bringing the animal on campus. However, students are strongly encouraged to register with Disability Services so that the presence of the animal on campus is documented as part of approved accommodation.  Refer to the Service Animal Policies and Procedures for complete guidelines.