The Oregon Tech Board of Trustees is the governing body of Oregon's only polytechnic university; each member is proudly appointed by the Governor and confirmed by the State Senate. The 15 member board is made up of 11 at-large members each appointed to serve a 4-year term; the University President who is a non-voting, ex-officio member; and the faculty, staff, and student members who are each appointed to a 2-year term.
The Oregon Tech Board of Trustees is made up of 14 individuals with varying backgrounds from entrepreneurs and elected officials to CEOs, consultants and managers. The Board includes one student, faculty and staff member of the University, and the University President as an ex-officio, non-voting member. The voting members were nominated by the Governor and approved by the Senate.
The Board's role is to approve the University's mission
, programs, budgets, and strategies. The Board has very broad authority to manage and govern the University. Among it's abilities, the Board can:
- Appoint and employ a President.
- Approve the University budget.
- Borrow money and issue bonds secured by University revenue.
- Establish any and all University policies.
- Set tuition, mandatory enrollment fees, and charges, fines, and fees for services (an increase to resident undergraduate tuition and enrollment fees is limited to a 5% cap absent approval from the Higher Education Coordinating Commission or the Legislature).
- Acquire, hold, and dispose of property.
- Establish, supervise and control academic and other programs (significant changes are subject to approval of the Higher Education Coordinating Commission).
- Authorize the construction, improvement, and operation of any kind of building or structure.
Board Values Statement
As a board, the Trustees pledge to work together to develop a culture characterized by:
- Above all else, an unwavering commitment to students and their success;
- Ethical, humble stewardship, always mindful of fiduciary responsibilities and the public trust;
- Transparency in all communications, guided by integrity, equity and fairness;
- Mutual trust in one other and in the decisions of the Board as a Whole;
- Empowerment of and trust in the president to accomplish the institution’s shared goals through delegated authorities and clear, strategic direction;
- Valuing the contributions of faculty and their role in shared governance, student success, and the academic enterprise;
- An inclusive, collaborative and safe environment which respects and values the diverse perspectives of all stakeholders;
- An expectation that every Trustee be a prepared, engaged, and contributing member, committed to robust, constructive debate and a shared agenda; and willing to meet challenges head-on and make difficult decisions;
- A deliberative, consistent and mindful decision-making process that enlists confidence and has credibility with stakeholders;
- An entrepreneurial approach to problem solving that is agile and open to change in a continuous effort to improve the overall enterprise; and
- A commitment to making a difference for individuals and for the State of Oregon by adding value for our students, faculty, staff and campus community through diligent governance, oversight, and strategic direction.
|Board Member ||Position ||Term |
|Jeremy Brown, PhD |
Challis Educational Opportunities Consultant
|1 ||September 19, 2014 to June 30, 2018 |
|Bill Goloski |
Oregon Tech Creative Design Manager
|4 || October 1, 2015 to June 30, 2017 and |
July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2019
|Jessica Gomez |
Rogue Valley Microdevices, Inc. CEO
|10 ||December 12, 2014 to June 30, 2016 |
|Lisa Graham, PhD, PE |
Alkemy Innovation, Inc. CEO
|3 ||September 19, 2014 to June 30, 2018 |
|Kathleen Hill |
Kathleen S. Hill, LLC Consultant
| 5 ||September 19, 2014 to June 30, 2018 |
|Vincent Jones, PE |
Retired Civil Engineer, Oregon Tech Alumni
|11 ||June 1, 2016 to June 30, 2018 |
|Jill Mason |
OHSU Dental Hygienist/Educator
|14 ||October 1, 2015 to June 30, 2019 |
|Kelley Minty Morris |
Klamath County Commissioner
| 6 ||September 19, 2014 to June 30, 2018 |
|Dr. Nagi Naganathan |
Oregon Tech President
|Ex-officio ||Ex-officio |
|Celia Núñez |
Oregon Small Business Development Director
| 7 ||September 19, 2014 to June 30, 2018 |
|William 'Liam' Perry |
Oregon Tech Student
| 2 || July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018 |
|Dan Peterson, PhD |
Oregon Tech Communication Dept. Chair
|8 ||September 19, 2014 to June 30, 2016 and |
July 1, 2016 to June 30, 2018
|Steve Sliwa, PhD |
Seeq Corporation CEO
|9 ||September 19, 2014 to June 30, 2018 |
|Paul Stewart |
Sky Lakes Medical Center CEO
|12 ||September 19, 2014 to June 30, 2018 |
|Fred Ziari |
|13 ||September 19, 2014 to June 30, 2018 |
As president, Dr. Nagi Naganathan serves as a non-voting, ex-officio member of the Board.