Curriculum Practical Training (CPT)
Curriculum Practical Training
- Student must have been lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis at a SEVIS- approved school for one full academic year before being eligible for CPT.
- Available only while student is in F-1 status, before completion of the academic program. Students in English language training programs are ineligible for CPT.
- Students may engage in CPT only for the specific employer, location and period approved.
- May be granted in increments of no more than one year, or until expected date of employment completion, whichever is shorter.
- Can be approved for part-time (20 hours of less) or full time (over 20 hours)
- Must be an integral part of an established curriculum, in the student's course of study
- Must have an offer of employment from an employer offering work that qualifies as curricular practical training
- Use of full-time CPT for one year or more eliminates eligibility for Optional Practical Training.
- Use of part-time CPT does not affect eligibility for Optional Practical Training.
- Must receive written authorization and updated I-20 with CPT notation from International Student Advisor before work begins.
- Must continue to maintain a full course of study in F-1 status during the period of employment.
- If CPT is approved, student will be issued a new I-20.