Image displays a globe drawn in blue and white longitude and latitude lines. Text that reads "Applied Learning Beyond Borders". A small International Student Services graphic with a blue and white globe. Text below the image references three areas of International Committee work: Faculty Exchange, International Programs, Study & Intern Abroad".

+1 503 610 5765

General Questions

If you are in a life-threatening emergency, please call 911. 

If you are experiencing a crisis for your immigration status, please call our 24 hour, 7 days per week hotline at 503-610-5765.

If you are trying to enter the U.S. and are having trouble at Customs and Border Protection, please call the hotline at 503-610-5765.

If you are experiencing a housing-related, natural disaster, personal issue, or some other kind of need where you need to talk to the International Advisor immediately, please call the hotline at 503-610-5765.

If you are seeking mental health support, there are many resources available to you.

  • Whether the crisis is big or small, Counseling staff want to help. Counselors are generally available 8 a.m. to noon, and 1 to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday when school is in session. Students in crisis during our office hours should come directly to our office. Our staff will meet with the student as soon as we can.
  • When our office is closed, requests for emergency counseling from Klamath Basin students may be directed to the Klamath Crisis Center at 884-0390 or 1-800-452-3669. These individuals may also call 911 or go directly to the emergency room at Sky Lakes Medical Center in Klamath Falls.
  • Resources for Portland students are available here. All Oregon Tech students may access the following national crisis line services 24 hours a day: National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, 1-800-SUICIDE; and National Hopeline Network, 1-800-442-HOPE. Students may also access the Ulifeline website, which is dedicated to supporting college students who need help and reducing the risk of suicide among college students.

If you need help and you are not in a crisis situation, please email and the advisor will get back to you within 3 business days. You can also use the tool on this page to schedule an appointment during a time that works for your schedule. 

Yes. U.S. immigration law requires that all international students on F1 student visas maintain full-time enrollment. To be considered full time, undergraduate students must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 quarter credits each term. Graduate students must be enrolled in a minimum of 9 quarter credits each term to be considered full time.

The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) is an internet database that assists the U.S. government in tracking F-1 and J-2 international students, scholars, and dependents.SEVIS is administered by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), which is a branch of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

The information in SEVIS is available to embassies and consulates, as well as many other U.S. government agencies.Oregon Institute of Technology is a SEVIS-approved school.

Designated school officials (DSOs) are located on several branch campuses and are certified SEVIS users.

Officials create I-20 documents for new and continuing students, utilizing the SEVIS program.Oregon Tech is required to report accurate and timely academic and personal information online regarding international students and scholars.

For questions about SEVIS, please email us.

When you receive your I-20 from the Oregon Tech, you are required to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee online.

Print the receipt page for proof of payment.

For more information and payments accepted, visit the SEVIS I-901 fee website.The fee is collected by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to maintain the SEVIS program. The SEVIS I-901 fee must be paid at least 3 business days before your visa interview.

Yes. On-campus employment is the only legal employment for international students. See the International Student Advisor for more details. 

Travel Checklist
For Reentering the U.S.Below are the basic requirements for an F-1 to reenter the United States after traveling abroad for five months or less:
I-20, endorsed for travel and signed by your DSO.
A current passport valid for at least six months after the date of your reentry or, if you are from one of the countries listed, a passport that is current through the date of entry. 
A valid, current visa or you traveled to contiguous country or adjacent island for less than thirty days.
Financial information showing proof of necessary funds to cover tuition and living expenses.
Bringing your most recent I-94, Departure Card, will facilitate your reentry, if reentering through a land POE.
If you are flying, the airline will collect your I-94 prior to departure and you will complete a new one upon reentry.

For more information on reentering the U.S., visit the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement website.

Practical training is the opportunity to apply knowledge gained in your degree program to off-campus work in your major field. OPT is authorized by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (U.S.C.I.S.). This authorization can take 2 to 3 months to obtain. The maximum amount of time granted to work on F-1 OPT status is 12 months per degree level plus a possible H1B cap gap extension OR 17 month extension for those who qualify (see info below). You may use some or all of the available 12 months of practical training during your course of study or save the full twelve months to use after you graduate.

Find out more.

All international students (and accompanying dependents) are required to complete an income tax return each year. For most students, this will mean completing the form required to file an income tax return even if you have no income to report. Scholarship funds are considered income and must be included on a tax return.

Even if you did not work, you must file paperwork each year.

Find out more.

New International Students

No. Oregon Tech does not currently offer an English language proficiency program, and international applicants must first complete their ESL program at another institution. 

International applicants are required to demonstrate their level of English-language proficiency during the application process.

Student should have one of the following to prove his English Language Proficiency:
-TOEFL: A minimum score of 520 in paper-based, 190 in computer-based, or 68 in internet-based.
-IELTS: A minimum score of 6.
-ACT or SAT test scores are not required for international admissions; however students may choose to take either test as justification to waive TOEFL or IELTS.
-Completion of a Level 112 course at an ESL Language Center or grade B or better in WR 121 from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university.

Not normally. Contact the Office of Admissions if you have questions about U.S. college entrance exams.

Yes; depending on the situation. However, all the requirements must be met before getting the I-20 issued. Contact the Admission Office for more details. 

The deadline for applying for fall term is May.1st, for winter term is Sept.1st, for spring term is Dec.1st, and for summer term is Apr.1st. You should complete your application by the deadline for the desired term. The sooner you start, the faster and easier it will be. You should start working on the application as soon as possible. 

It might take up to six months to get all the forms and paperwork done. You should apply as soon as you can. Once you complete your application,the International Student Advisor is going to contact you after your application have been reviewed. 

No. Tuition and fees are due during the first week of each term.

International students cannot apply for federal financial aid. A few scholarships are available for international students.

Check this link for more information- Scholarships

Yes. All students must have health insurance. Contact the International Advisor for more details. International students enrolled at Oregon Tech are required to purchase the International Student Health Insurance, and will be automatically enrolled. For information regarding benefits and rates, please see the International Student Insurance FAQ to view details regarding the plan offered through Gallagher Koster, underwritten by United Healthcare.

Yes. The record has to be in English, signed and has the date on it. Information about required immunizations will be sent to you by the International Student services with the I-20 form.

It is important to fill the form out and submit your immunization record; otherwise, you will not be able to register for classes.

You are welcome! You are seen!

Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to attend all Oregon Tech-sponsored events and programs. If you are a person with a disability who requires a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in this program, please contact in advance.