Oregon Tech's Respiratory Care Program (program number 200309) is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (www.coarc.com). "CoARC accredits respiratory therapy education programs in the United States. To achieve this end, it utilizes an ‘outcomes based’ process. Programmatic outcomes are performance indicators that reflect the extent to which the educational goals of the program are achieved and by which program effectiveness is documented."
For a comparison of the Oregon Institute of Technology Respiratory Care Program outcomes with the outcomes data for all programs in the United States visit: https://coarc.com/students/programmatic-outcomes-data/.
The purpose of the Respiratory Care Program, a Bachelor of Science degree, is to provide for the regional needs for respiratory care practitioners prepared at the advanced level of Registered Respiratory Therapist.
Program Educational Objectives
- Graduates will demonstrate professional behaviors consistent with employer expectations as advanced-level respiratory therapists (affective domain).
- Graduates will demonstrate the ability to comprehend, apply, and evaluate clinical information relevant to their roles as advanced-level respiratory therapists (cognitive domain).
- Graduates will demonstrate technical proficiency in all the skills necessary to fulfill their roles as advanced-level respiratory therapists (psychomotor domain).
Program Student Learning Outcomes
- The ability to communicate effectively in oral, written and visual forms.
- Knowledge of the respiratory care code of ethics and ethical and professional conduct.
- The ability to function effectively as a member of the healthcare team.
- Knowledge and application of mechanical ventilation and therapeutics.
- Knowledge and application of cardiopulmonary pharmacology and pathophysiology.
- Management of respiratory care plans for adult, neonatal and pediatric patients.
Summary of Program Student Learning Outcomes
The Respiratory Care & Sleep Health faculty formally assess the student learning outcomes summarized in the annual program assessment report. Additional details can be found in department assessment records.