Delaying or closing* Oregon Tech campuses due to inclement weather is a decision based primarily on concern for the safety of students, faculty, staff, and visitors. Campus delay or closure is implemented when there is concern that snow, ice, or other weather conditions may prevent safe travel to campus, or use of sidewalks, parking lots and campus roads.
If delay or closure are appropriate, the decision will normally be made by 6:00 am. If the opening time is later than 8:00 am, any class, lab, or other activity scheduled to begin before that time is cancelled. Faculty may contact students to make alternate arrangements. Classes starting after that time are to be held as previously scheduled.
* Inclement weather closing is not the same as an emergency or disaster closure, which is not addressed on this page. Oregon Tech Emergency Response Plan can be found here.
Notification of Closure
When the decision is made to delay or close the opening of the campus, there are a variety of ways notifications are announced.
Primary Methods of Notification: These forms of notification are done immediately upon a delay or closure decision.
- OIT-Alert: The OIT-Alert system sends notifications to email and phone numbers that can be customized by each student, faculty, and staff member. Notifications are sent through the following methods:
- Radio and TV Stations:
- Klamath Falls: Radio, television and other media in Klamath Falls, Medford, Ashland, Eagle Point, and Central Point are notified and will have closure information for Oregon Tech.
- Portland-Metro: Radio, television and other media in Portland, Salem, Lake Oswego, West Linn, Wilsonville, Tualatin, and Sherwood are notified and will have closure information for Oregon Tech.
- Website: An announcement will appear on the main page of the Oregon Tech website for that campus.
Secondary Methods of Notification: These forms of notification may be delayed from primary methods.
- Twitter and Facebook: Announcements will be listed on Oregon Tech’s main Twitter and Facebook pages.
- Campus Phone: An announcement will be posted by Information Technology Services on the Klamath Falls campus switchboard number (541.885.1000) and on the Wilsonville campus switchboard (503.821.1250).
- Other: Previously-established communication protocols will be activated by members of the Executive Staff.
Other Oregon Tech Locations
For those located at our other sites please refer to procedures put in place by those locations:
If you have concerns with safety conditions, please contact the Finance and Administration Office at 541.885.1105 or the Office of Human Resources at 541.885.1120.
(1) Unclassified employees (faculty and administrative staff) are on contract appointments and need not account for work time missed due to a campus closure.
(2) Classified employees will be subject to the terms of the Collective Bargaining agreement (Article 63) which allows employees who are at work to be paid for the remainder of the work shift if the campus is closed during their shift and requires employees who have not yet reported to work to use accrued vacation, compensatory time, exchange time or personal leave, or take leave without pay to cover work time missed due to closure. Only those employees, authorized in advance, by their supervisors to work on campus during inclement weather closures will be paid for those hours worked.
Employees are responsible for using the notification resources prior to reporting for work when conditions exist that might result in a closure. Classified employees reporting for work after a timely closure announcement is made will be required to use leave time, or leave without pay as stated above. Contact Human Resources for any questions on this.