The Humanities and Social Sciences Department offers degrees in Applied Psychology and Population Health Management, minors in ALPs, Medical Sociology, and Psychology, and a diverse collection of courses in support of Oregon Tech’s general education mission. We are committed to our role in enabling students to develop intellectual curiosity, critical thinking skills, global knowledge, and ethical and cultural awareness.
- The department is expanding its offerings in Applied Behavior Analysis. In response to recent regulatory changes, the department is offering a nine-course sequence of graduate courses in ABA at the Portland-Metro campus.
- The department now offers a Bachelor’s degree in Population Health Management. This innovative degree is based in applied medical sociology and will prepare students for many career opportunities in health care.
- The department has a new minor in Arts, Literature, and Philosophy (ALPs), which will support Oregon Tech students in pursuing humanities-based coursework beyond their basic general education requirements.
- Klamath County was awarded the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Culture of Health award.
- A new milestone for Oregon Tech: Applied Behavior Analysis clinic opens in Klamath Falls
- Dr. Kathleen Adams publishes on her work for the MFT program in Family Therapy Magazine
- OIT Class Centered on Water Basin History
- Masters program integrates community partnerships
- Colleges collaborating, teaching innovative programs for tomorrow's emerging careers
- Relief finally arrives for children with autism in Oregon
- Oregon Tech, Southern Oregon co-launch a new degree
- SOU, OIT join forces for degree training autism specialists
- Klamath contingent lobbies for health project
- Education at Roosevelt Elementary continues after the bell
- OIT launches health care degree program
The mission of the Humanities and Social Sciences (HSS) Department is enterprising and multifaceted. Our faculty on the Klamath Falls, Portland-Metro, and online campuses have diverse expertise that allows for a true representation of HSS disciplines. We provide students with a comprehensive education in the humanities and social sciences that will instill in them a lifelong love of learning that will allow them to be successful in their professional, civic, and private lives once they leave Oregon Tech. We offer several innovative undergraduate and graduate degrees and minor programs in the social sciences, health sciences, and the humanities. Students in our programs participate in hands-on learning and receive the benefits of working directly with community partners, generating original research, and completing externship opportunities within their programs of study.
In addition to our program offerings, our department generously serves Oregon Tech's Essential Studies general education curriculum. We design and offer many courses that effectively complement and enhance students' programs of study while also helping them acquire the vital habits of mind instantiated by Oregon Tech's Essential Student Learning Outcomes.
The recent addition of many online course offerings ensures us increased flexibility in the execution of our mission and the delivery of courses that will create well-rounded lifelong learners with dynamic skill sets.
Department Goals and Objectives
- To provide coursework in the humanities and social sciences in order to prepare students for success in their professional, civic, and private lives.
- To inspire students to be lifelong learners, and to teach them the skills they will need to continue their education beyond the classroom.
- To aid in students' understanding and achievement of Oregon Tech's six Essential Student Learning Outcomes.
- To assist students in developing an aesthetic appreciation of the arts.